Netgear Access Point Setup: All That You Should Know
Generally, the Netgear WiFi range extenders are used to expand the existing home network. They are first connected to the host routers using a wireless connection and then used to extend the existing router signal further to eliminate WiFi dead zones in the home. But do you know most Netgear WiFi extenders have the option to be installed as access points? Yes! You can use your Netgear extender as an access point as well. Do you want to know how to do this? Yes? Well, read this informative guide to learn about the process of Netgear access point setup.
Netgear Access Point Setup: Supported Extender Models
Before we get to the Netgear access point setup, please know that not all Netgear extender models can be set up as access points. Here is the list of the Netgear extenders that can function as access points:
- Netgear EX6400
- Netgear EX6410
Is your Netgear extender mentioned in the list above? Congratulations! You can now set it up as an access point.
Why Do Netgear Access Point Setup?
If you are wondering what is the purpose of using your Netgear range extender as an access point, then let us tell you more about this. An access point implies a hardware device that helps WiFi devices access a wired network. Simply put, an access point can create its own wireless network that can be accessed on various devices. For this, first the access point i.e. Netgear extender is to be connected to the host router using an Ethernet cable. The benefits of setting up Netgear extender as access point are:
- The host router has a limited range. But when connected to the extender, you can extend the network further where the router’s network is not available.
- This will also help multiple users access the network at the same time.
- The network coverage now is much larger than that of the host router.
- As the host router and the Netgear extender are connected using an Ethernet cable, you will get the benefit of a stronger signal.
Now that you have gained sufficient information about why a range extender should be used as an access point, let us now get to the process.
How to Do Netgear Access Point Setup?
Let us now discuss about how you can set up Netgear extender access point. You need to access the Netgear Genie login page to get the task accomplished. The entire Netgear extender access point setup process is mentioned below:
- Begin the setup process by powering up your Netgear range extender. So, plug it into an active wall outlet. The LEDs on the extender should begin blinking. Once they are stable, this implies the extender is completely booted up. If this does not happen, check the power socket for any damage. Ensure using a well-active and working power socket to connect the extender. Proceed to the next step only when the Netgear extender is booted up properly.
- It is now time to turn the Access Point mode on. So, find the switch that is named Access Point on the Netgear range extender. Once found turn it to the Access Point mode.
- Now, establish a secure connection between the host router and the Netgear range extender. So, get your hands on an Ethernet cable and insert one of the ends into the host router’s Ethernet port and the other end into that of the extender. Ensure making a finger-tight connection between the networking devices.
- Now power up your computer or laptop and gain access to the extender network on it.
- To further proceed with Netgear access point setup, fire up an updated web browser now.
- In the URL bar, type www.mywifiext.net and then press enter.
Note- Make sure that you are typing the correct web address without making any typing mistakes. Also, refrain from entering the web address in the search bar of the browser.
- As soon as the Netgear login window opens up, input the admin login credentials in the respective fields on the login screen. Make sure you do not make any typing errors while typing the login credentials. Also, check that the Caps Lock key should not be enabled.
- Click on the Log In button.
- This will navigate you to the Netgear Genie page.
- To move further, you need to click on New Extender Setup.
- Create an account by filling in the required details and then click on Next.
- All you got to do the rest is follow the on-screen prompts to complete the final setup process.
That’s it! The Netgear access point setup process is completed. You can use your Netgear range extender as an access point. So, access its network on various devices and enjoy seamless internet access. If you need any further assistance to get through the setup process, taking help from the technical team is recommended.