How to Update Extender’s Firmware Via Netgear Genie App?
Netgear regularly releases firmware updates to enhance product performance, strengthen security, and add features to its line of WiFi devices. To ensure that all these features get added to your Netgear wireless range extender, it is important that you keep its firmware up-to-date using the Netgear Genie app.
Wondering how to do that? Well, wonder no more! Just go through the steps mentioned below and learn how to perform Netgear extender firmware update via Genie application.
Guidelines to Download Netgear Genie App
If you do not already have the app, then download it on your mobile device before getting started with the Netgear extender firmware update process.
Mentioned below are the steps you need to follow to download the Genie application:
Search for the Netgear Genie App
- Unlock your mobile device.
- Open the Google App Store if you are using an Android device.
- And, go to the Apple App Store in case you’re the owner of an iOS device.
- Search for the Netgear Genie application and hit Search.
- Once found, tap the Download button.
- Wait patiently for the application to get installed.
- It is recommended that you do not perform any background activities while the app is getting installed.
Log in to your Netgear Extender
- Once the Netgear Genie app gets installed, create a Netgear account.
- Log in to your WiFi range extender using the default username and password.
- Tap Log In.
Once the BASIC Home screen appears, follow the below-mentioned steps to update the firmware of your extender via the Netgear Genie app.
Note: If you come across any issues while doing Netgear Genie download, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our technical experts. They’ll tell you where you went wrong and what you can do to fix it.
Steps to Update Extender’s Firmware Via Netgear Genie App
- Head over to the Settings menu located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap ‘Check For Updates’.
- Your Netgear WiFi range extender will check for a new firmware.
- If a new firmware is available, tap Update.
And with that, you’ll easily be able to update the firmware of your WiFi range extender using the Netgear Genie app. On the off chance, you face any difficulty while doing so, follow the troubleshooting tips mentioned below:
Fixed: Can’t Perform Netgear Extender Firmware Update
- First of all, make sure that your Netgear wireless range extender is getting a fluctuation-free power supply from the wall socket.
- Check the connection between your range extender and the WiFi router. If you’ve made the mistake of connecting your devices wirelessly, rectify it right away by using an Ethernet cable to connect them.
- Ensure that your extender isn’t placed near electronic devices or transmitting appliances like cordless phones, washing machines, baby monitors, Bluetooth speakers, treadmills, televisions, refrigerators, microwave ovens, etc. The reason being, such appliances can block the signals of your router, thereby preventing you from updating its firmware.
- Make sure your smartphone has enough space for the Netgear Genie application to get installed.
- Not sure about the default username and password of your Netgear wireless range extender? No problem! Refer to the user manual for the default admin details. Or even better, reach out to our experts!
Hopefully, these troubleshooting tips will help you update your extender’s firmware via the Netgear Genie app.
The Bottom Line
In order to perform well, every technical device needs to get its firmware updated from time to time. Your Netgear extender needs it too. If you take the help of the step-by-step guidelines mentioned in this post, you’ll surely be able to update your extender’s firmware via the Netgear Genie app.