How to Secure WiFi Network of Netgear Range Extender?
Have you ever thought of securing your WiFi extender? No? Well, do it Now! FYI, with the availability of various WiFi devices, as it has become easier for users to surf, stream, and play online games without any hassle, a huge rise in security breaches has also been witnessed. This is because people often neglect the importance of securing their WiFi devices. If you are also among those who have not yet secured their WiFi devices, then let’s warn you that the doors to your WiFi devices is open for intruders and they can easily leech your important data. Wondering how to secure WiFi? Well, if you own a Netgear extender and don’t know how to secure it from potential threats, this how-to guide will be of great help. All you need to do is stick to reading and implement the hacks listed below.
How to Secure WiFi – 3 Step Guide
Step 1: Change Default Password
The very first step you can opt for protecting your WiFi is to change its default password. No matter which extender model you have, it is pretty much important to change the Netgear WiFi extender password after completing its setup. Below is the breakdown of steps explaining the process of changing WiFi password:
- Log in to your extender by accessing mywifiext.
- As soon as you reach the settings of your device, locate the Administration option.
- Under it, try finding the Change Password option.
- Clicking it will allow you to set a new password for your extender.
- Assign your device a new password and hit Save.
Caution: While setting a new password for your extender, make sure not to use your personal details like phone number, spouse name, birth date, etc. Instead, consider using a mix of special characters, digits, and alphabets to make your password hard-to-crack.
Step 2: Update Extender Firmware
Another trick that works well for securing a WiFi device is to update its firmware. So, get your extender the latest firmware update right away. Don’t know how? Check the steps below and learn how to secure WiFi by updating its firmware:
- Launch a web browser on your device and access the Netgear Genie setup wizard.
- Navigate to settings and locate the Firmware Update option.
- Click it to see if any new update is available for your extender.
- If you are being notified of the availability of a new firmware update, get it right away.
- For this, simply hit the Firmware Update option and follow on-screen prompts.
Step 3: Hide Your Network SSID
When you complete a Netgear extender setup, it starts showing its SSID so that you can connect your client devices to its network. But, it’s not a good idea to show the network name of your WiFi to every third person who is within your device’s reach. In such a case, hiding the SSID of your device can help. Here’s how to secure WiFi network of Netgear range extender by stopping its SSID to broadcast:
- Access mywifiext web address to log in to your extender.
- Head towards Settings > Administration.
- Locate Network SSID option.
- If it is enabled, select it again to disable it.
- Hit Save to let the changes come into effect.
Although the 3-step guide given above will help you secure your WiFi, just in case you want to add an additional layer of security to your device, consider creating a guest network for your extender. This will prevent you from sharing your admin details with every other person asking to use your WiFi.
The Bottom Line
Our guide on how to secure WiFi network of a Netgear extender ends here. If you feel stuck while executing any of the steps given in the post, ask our experts to help you out.