A Definite Guide to Hide SSID of Netgear WiFi Extender
Commencing the day work in nightwear at the bed might be the most comfortable part of work from home culture. All you need to do is connect your WiFi-enabled devices to the wireless network and start your work. But, do you know the home wireless connection that has made your life easier brings security threats to the table too. However, you need not worry as you have crossed paths with us. Here, we will reveal the most effective method to secure the WiFi network of your precious Netgear extender. And, that can be done by hiding the extender’s SSID. So, without any delay, let us discuss about how it will be beneficial for you to hide SSID of your Netgear extender.
Bigger Picture: Why Should You Hide SSID?
Just in case you are wondering that how hiding the SSID will protect your Netgear extender’s WiFi network, then let us provide you with a bigger picture.
SSID is an abbreviation for Service Set Identifier. It is a name given to the WiFi network of Netgear extender using which you can connect to the internet. It means that the SSID of your range extender is visible on every network’s list that is within the range of your WiFi network. And, who knows a hacker resides near your home? In that case, the security of your extender’s WiFi network holds cardinal importance. That is why you should hide SSID of your Netgear WiFi extender. Once you do that, the SSID of your extender won’t be visible on any network list. So, zero chances of security breaches.
Now that you have become acquainted with the perks of hiding the SSID of your Netgear extender, let’s have a look at the prerequisites of doing so.
Prerequisites of Hiding Netgear Extender’s SSID
Before you hide SSID of your Netgear WiFi extender, make sure that you have access to the following things:
- An Ethernet cable free of cuts to establish a connection between your Netgear range extender and router.
- An active electric outlet to power up your Netgear WiFi extender.
- A computer with temporarily disabled antivirus software and firewall.
- An internet browser that is operating on its updating version as well as is free of cache, cookies, and browsing history.
- The default admin details of your Netgear wireless range extender.
- The default web address of the extender to access the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
- In addition, ensure that your WiFi extender is placed in a zero interference zone so that you won’t face any trouble amidst the process of hiding the SSID.
Straightaway, let’s move ahead with the process to hide SSID of a Netgear range extender.
Steps to Hide SSID of Netgear WiFi Extender
- Power up your Netgear range extender after plugging it into an active electric outlet.
- Ensuring that the power light on your extender has turned solid green, grab an Ethernet cable and connect it to the extender and router.
- Now, turn on your PC and open an internet browser.
- Type the default web address of the Netgear extender into the URL field and press the Enter key.
- The next screen will prompt you to log in to your Netgear WiFi extender.
- Provide the default login details of your extender into the given fields and hit Log In.
Note: Keep in mind that the default admin details of your Netgear extender won’t be applicable if you’ve ever changed them. In that scenario, use the changed login credentials.
- Once you reach the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard, click the Advanced menu and go to the Wireless Settings tab.
- Thereafter, uncheck the Broadcast this Network Name (SSID) option.
- Now, click Save and let the changes be effective.
That’s it! You have successfully hidden the SSID of your Netgear extender. Just in case you face any issue while hiding the extender’s network name, ping our expert professionals to take their help.
Don’t want to use a computer to hide SSID of your Netgear range extender? No issues! Install the Netgear Genie app on your smartphone and hide SSID in a hassle-free manner.